Friday, February 16, 2007

Lobster

Date: 27-Oct-2006 (posting it late)

Place: CA

Well I had reduced eating non-veg food on Apr-20, 2006. But, after coming to US, first I had Sushi. It was kind of repeat, but I liked it this time too. We went to Tokie's kitchen in Foster City with the whole team and it was fun. I had Sushi with chopsticks. It was thrilling and quite an interesting one too ! This all happened on Oct-26, lunch time.

Then today, Oct-27, we went to Lobster Shack to have lobster. While going, I had this strange kind of feeling.. “Wack... I am going to eat lobster?!? It looks so dirty! How would I eat that !?! ” With lots of courage, or say hiding the fear of eating that when Sherry asked which one you want to order, I guess I didn’t have an answer and I said that I don't know anything. So, anything would be fine. Then she explained me few things in the menu and then I ordered some roll. That's essentially a sandwich. Lobster pieces are sandwiched between the buttered bread and then that's it. After the order, I went over to the aquarium and took some pics of live lobsters. It was fun. (Pic 1,2,3)

By the time I am back to the table, food is served. And, it doesn't look as dirty as I had imagined. (Pic 4)

I again took some pics of the food and tasted it. It was good. Specially, meat after 6 months was interesting. I don't know what my wife will say when she comes to know that I had meat. Actually, in past I had declined numerous times that I am not gonna eat meat and that's why she used to be mad at me. I don't know what will I say when I am back.

While eating, Allen asked me to taste the extra hot sauce. It's been quite some time since I have stopped eating hot stuff, especially chilies. I was scared, but tasted it. I didn’t feel the pinch. Then I took more this time and thought at least now it will hit me. But, I was disappointed. It was not as hot as I expected it to be.

Later, and idea was floated that we should have a full lobster also. Finally, Sid went and ordered a full lobster, steamed one. We were all waiting for it to come. It took sometime and we were all eagerly waiting. Now it comes. Now it comes... but it doesn't. Then, suddenly we see someone serving a full lobster on another table and Sid remembers that he ordered right after them. Hummmm…... so, next is our order and it will come anytime. Hold your breath and here comes the full lobster. Wow…. it was red and pretty big. I was so excited that I started taking pics. We took pics with the steamed lobster.


Pic 5,6,7,8

Meanwhile, we were served aprons that we needed to tie. I didn’t understand why that was needed. Then, a paper chart showed how to eat lobster. It had all the steps , such as.. how to cut, where to snap first, which tool to use etc etc. A real helpful one. You can see that in the picture. We first took out the claws. One myself and one Sid. Then we took the tool and crushed the shell. It spilled juices all around. Now I understood why the aprons! Then we took out the meat and had it. Next is the turn of tail. When Sid was breaking the tail portion we took the video and it was a great experience. Lobster juice was all around the table. But, it didn't stop. We continued the operation and then Sid was pushing out the meat from lobster tail with the help of a fork like tool. It didn't help much. What the hellll... Le me take the fork and then..... here it comes. Whole meat came out. We put that on the plate and Allen cut that in pieces. We took the pieces, dipped in melted butter and had it. It was tasty ! Now only two things are left - Eight legs and the body. Allen, snapped the legs and we had to suck the juice and meat out of it. It was fun. Then, Body shell was ripped apart and meat was taken out. The look was…….. yuck. I would never eat that ! It was awful. Allen said, " it is very tasty." I gathered some courage and tasted it. Yummy, it was tasty ! Then, we finished the meat of part of it. I was completely thrilled !

Someone said, "let's take this for Sunil". Wow.. that's an awesome idea ! Allen took the corn piece and tried to stuff inside the body shell.

O..Oooo.. it doesn't go.

Let me rip it apart and then push the corn in. Finally, corn inside a lobster shell. Sounds like an interestingly wicked idea ! We wrapped this with the apron and made a nice parcel.

We drove back to office and came back to Sunil's place. We handed over the parcel to Sunil and by that time I was already taking the video. Sunil took it as opened it. We had so much of fun there. We took pictures with the lobster shell. And... and then lunch time is over. We got back to work.

I was so thrilled that I decided to pen it down. And that's how this blog came out.

Ciao until I experience something new again.

Cheers



Here are the pictures.








Pic 1,2: Lobster in the aquarium








Pic 3: Sid with Lobsters Pic 4: Lobster sandwich served










Pic 5: Whole Lobster served Pic 6: Sherry and Sid
















Pic 7: Allen and Myself Pic 8: All four

No comments: